These are the rules and expectations for the discussion boards. These rules are meant to help make the boards enjoyable for as many people as possible. Your suggestions for improvements are definitely welcome.
Because of the intimate nature of course work, our primary goal is to create and maintain a place where course participants feel comfortable to share their insights, thoughts and feelings about their course work. Unsupportive behavior (see below for a more detailed explanation) will not be allowed in the forums.
The Moderators of the boards are all volunteers who monitor the boards and make sure that the rules are respected. They are not able to make changes to the rules, so if you have questions/concerns of that nature please email us.
- Moderator Announcements: Moderators may post announcements containing instructions/warnings about the direction of a thread. When posting announcements moderators may also dim existing posts that do not comply with the instructions to prevent replies. If you ignore moderator announcements, your post or posts will be dimmed and you will be blocked from posting in the thread again. (Please see the very bottom of this post for an explanation of “dimming.”)
- Community Guidelines: We take the Community Guidelines seriously. Please familiarize yourself with them. If you publish a post that violates the guidelines, your post will be deleted and you will be blocked from further posting in the thread. Note that “No personal attacks” and “No hate speech” in particular are often misinterpreted and misunderstood – do read the definitions that are provided in the Guidelines.
- Don’t behave impolitely. For example: a reply that reads “Get a life!” is clearly not a personal attack but it is impolite. These types of posts will be dimmed and repeated bad behavior will result in being blocked from a thread.
- Topics – no political or religious discussions.
- Discussing moderator decisions: If a thread is locked and archived, it means the discussion is no longer being hosted. You may not use the boards to discuss locked/archived threads. If you refer to a moderator decision related to a post in the thread where that post resides, your post will be removed and you will be blocked from the thread. This is extremely derailing behavior. Please use the contact us link if you have a comment regarding the moderation of a post or thread.
- Three Strikes: If the moderators of the boards blocks you from 3 threads for any reason, you will be permanently banned from all the boards.
Definitions and Questions
What is “dimming”?
Posts that are dimmed will be faded out so that they are more difficult to read. Dimmed posts will also have their reply buttons hidden so that future posters are not tempted to reply. The above rules explain when this technique will be used.
Journey to the Golden Fleece Community guidelines
Welcome to the neighborhood!
Items marked with rule are firm policies. By using the Golden Fleece Forums, you agree to follow these rules and guidelines. Moderators enforce these rules. The Forums are at their best when people are civil and respectful toward one another and these rules are meant to help our community grow and stay healthy. Repeated or egregious violations of the rules will lead to being blocked from the forums, having messaging privileges revoked, or being banned from the Forums.
- Respect people’s personal space. If you have negative comments about someone’s personal projects, handspun, designs, yarns, etc., keep them to yourself.
- rule Personal attacks, harassment, and personal threats are not allowed on the Forums. Attacking or harassing any person through the posting of off-site links are also not permitted. The following actions constitute personal attacks and are not allowed:
- Racial, sexual, homophobic, ageist, sexist, religious, political, ethnic, or other epithets (such as against people with disabilities) directed against another user.
- Accusations about the private behavior of another member that lack evidence.
- Threats, including threats of legal action, made on the forums or via private message. Threats of violence or negative actions to be taken offline from the Forums are serious and will result in banning from the forums or the site.
- The following actions constitute harassment and are not allowed:
- Repeatedly using project or stash comments, forum posts, or private messages to threaten or insult other users.
- Sending private messages to another user after requests to stop.
- Repeatedly linking to the Forum posts of a user or offsite blog posts or information with the intent to insult or ridicule.
- rule Hate speech and hateful imagery is not permitted on the Forums. Hate Speech and Hateful Imagery are defined as: Words, phrases, or images deemed by Moderators to express, either deliberately or unknowingly, hatred or contempt towards a group of people, based on areas such as their ethnic, cultural, religious or sexual identity, gender, socio-economic class, or with reference to physical health or mental health, are not allowed. Posts or images deemed by Moderators to be hate speech will be deleted by the Moderators, possibly without warning, and additional consequences may apply to the poster.
- rule Respect the privacy of others. Do not post the contents of private messages or personal information about other members that cannot be found on their profiles without permission. You may not link to off-site privacy violations.
- rule We work to keep improving the site and love getting helpful ideas and feedback from the members. When problems arise, we do our best to be fair and nice people. We require that community members interact with us in a respectful manner, and while we understand that people get upset, we will not take abuse (our call) and we reserve the right to deny you access to the site at any time.
Be constructive with your feedback
- rule Libelous comments are not permitted. Back up your claims with facts.
- rule There is no place for vendettas on the Forums. If we suspect that your goal is to cause harm to a person that you feel has wronged you, your posts will be deleted and your posting privileges may be affected.
The Forums are for all ages
- Refrain from adult language
- rule No adult language in avatars or usernames.
- rule Nudity in avatars or other photos is not permitted.
- There is sharing and then there is spamming. Think about the place, context, and time when you post something that is self-promotional.
- rule Unsolicited promotional private messages are considered spam. You will be warned if we receive complaints about spammy private messages.
- rule You may not use the Forums to request copies of copyrighted materials from people who do not have permission to distribute them. You may not post or share copyrighted materials on the Forums without permission from the copyright holder.
- rule “Personal” fundraising posts (fundraising for individuals in need) are not permitted on the Forums.